If you are a Windows 10 user, you will notice that Cumulative updates are installed automatically. And you cannot disable the Windows automatic update feature. Whether you like it or not, Windows will install these updates as soon as they are ready. Sometimes Windows will pop up notifications like:
- Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.
- Install updates automatically.
- Download Updates but choose when to install them.
Also consider that running the latest updates are essential to your device. Automatic updates make sure every computer has the latest security patches, performance, and stability improvements. Even though these updates are vital, most of them have complained about this feature. So let us learn how to disable windows automatic updates.
Disable Windows 10 Update [Temporary]
Notice that the following method only halts the update for a temporary period of time. The update service will automatically re-enable after a certain amount of the period of time.
- Step 1: Press the both Windows logo key + R on the keyboard to appear the Run Box.
- Step 2: Type Services.msc on the Run box to open Services window.
- Step 3: Scroll down to the Windows update on the right side of the windows and double click on it.
- Step 4: A window will appear as Windows update properties. Click on disable on startup type.
- Step 5: Click on Apply to save changes on windows update properties window.
Start update service
If you wish to enable Windows 10 update service, you could do the following steps. First, you need to open a cmd prompt. Before we open the cmd prompt, we must ensure it is in administrator mode. To open in Administrator mode, simply right click on cmd and click Run as Administrator. And type “net start wuauserv” command to start the Windows Update service. The update won’t start unless you enter the command in Administrator mode.
net start wuauserv